Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Letter to Mr. Baltimore Private....


September 11th, 2014 Thursday

To: Mr. Charlie Baltimore

Anti-Violence Partnership of Philadelphia

2000 Hamilton Street, Suite 304

Philadelphia, Common Wealth of Pennsylvania 19130-3814

From: Brother Tracy Gibson

213 South 49th Street

Philadelphia, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania 19139

1 (215) 921-2065


Dear Mr. Baltimore:

I hope and pray this letter finds you in the best of good health and good spirits.  I was referred to you by a Mr. Max Carlson of the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency [Victims Compensation Assistance Program] of Philadelphia. I am on disability for depression with schizophrenic features, but have been doing quite well and haven’t been hospitalized for these problems in over 12 years.  I am looking to find a part time job that will be both challenging and rewarding financially and in regard to my helping the Black community and the Community at large.  I have written dozens of letters to advocate for the betterment of the City of Philadelphia’s education system and the health of our People here.  Recently a letter I wrote was instrumental in helping CVS Pharmacy find the courage to take cigarettes off the shelves of their stores.  Now they specialize in helping people to stop smoking!!  This was a clear victory for me as an individual community organizer and for people in the Commonwealth  of Pennsylvania who wish to stop smoking, but haven’t been able to find a route to accomplish this task.  I also take on a number of other issues in my work, but have been unable to get funding to really work as consistently and effectively as I would like. Finding part-time work would sure help. My resume speaks for itself, but there are a few things that I find especially rewarding that I have done in recent years. One is to write the oil companies to advocate for youths getting summer jobs cleaning the gas stations, and doing minor repairs on cars.  This would cut back significantly on inner-city crime and keep our young people occupied by doing something constructive they would get paid for. I have also advocated for Black youths to work legally selling videos in the community instead of bootleg videos.  This would cut back on the amount of money the major and minor studios are losing from the bootleg market and provide legitimate jobs for youth as well. The crisis in the Middle East is a real and authentic problem that has been troublesome for decades. I have worked on this, but have not been able to get my planned organization funded properly, as yet.  The part-time work would help me get some of these items up and running faster.  To say we are in crisis as a nation on these issues: the crisis in the middle east and youth unemployment is an understatement. I think you can understand my level of frustration and my need for the paid work.

Peace and Blessings,


Brother Tracy Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment