Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Peophecy of the Black Diaspora: The Living Ancestors By Tracy C. Kokayi Gibson

Prophecy of the Black Diaspora: The Living Ancestors

By Tracy C. Kokayi Gibson


I am an African. I hold within me part of my ancestor's spirit. This spirit moves through me.  It nurtures me like rain nurtures the thirsty baobab.  I am forever connected to my elders and my past.  I feel this spirit is not to be bartered by the highest bidder, but used to move me into a future of eventual freedom and prosperity.  This invisible, tangible being is the essence of timelessness.  It holds part of the biological clock of the African Continent and the beginning of human life.  I see it as a part of the future or our youth.

I pray similar spirits help stabilize and nurture Black youth.  Help them become open to learning in the schools and from their parents, their relatives, each other and their communities, their perspectives and the times they live in being so different from that of their parents and mentors.

When I act unlike the noble people I feel most Africans should be I deny my very existence.  The road may not always be easy, but I pray to give and get help along the way.  I work towards my words and deeds being more and more positive each day.  When I move forward I do a small part to step towards the ultimate salvation of humanity and the future prosperity of this earth.  When I move back it must be to recover, learn, grow and bring new knowledge to the Black Diaspora whenever possible.  I must guard against wrong-minded behavior and thinking and be a stabilizing force for myself and others and as much as possible.  I must prosper without giving up.

If I mistreat myself and others I tare at the fabric of our rich Black Diaspora.  This I must not do because I then become only another fragment of what I hope will not become a bleak and distorted mosaic.  Instead I must become part of a brilliant mural of hope and strength with several million parts.  Each unique, connected, aware, powerful and colorful.

It is my opinion that the destiny of many, especially those in the Black Diaspora, will be determined by the weight and seriousness of the work each of us does on a daily basis.

I have no time to not concern myself with the Black Diaspora.  This does not mean a harsh, strict, cohesiveness to any rules of time, law or arbitrary restriction.  What time I spend to be away from the work of serving Black people is only to relax and prepare to face the battle again, full with the eager desire to elevate the Black Diaspora to their proper place in this changing world. 

Writer's Note: From Page 34 and 35 of ``Male Box Magazine'' Circa 1995. This article was written during the very, very short time I was openly using my African name: ``Kokayi''... I have since then, internalized this name and hold in close to my heart...  I have since even forgotten what the name means, but will once again use it when I do the research and find it's original meaning.  However, for the time being and into the foreseeable future, I use Brother Tracy Gibson as my name.  My legal name is Mr. Tracy Charles Gibson...  

No comments:

Post a Comment