Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Professor Molefi Kete Asante... Writer of Afrocentricity: The Theory of Social Change

Professor Molefi Kete Asante is the writer of over 60 books and, among them, is the ground breaking Africentricity: The Theory of Social Change [2003]. Other books include: The Egyptian Philosophers: Ancient African Voices from Imhotep to Akhenten [2000]; Cheikh Anta Diop: An Intellectual Portrait [2007]; The African American People: A Global History [2011]; and As I Run Towards Africa: A Memoir [2011]. Professor Asante is renowned for his stellar penmanship and for founding the first PhD program in African American Studies.  His busy scheduel presently includes speaking engagements; teaching at Temple University; and running the Molefi Kete Institute for Afrocentric Studies. While I highly recommend ALL of Professor Anante's books, I myself personally, have found some of them rather hard to read and to keep my interests, however, I tend to like less academic books that are easier to read such as ``African World Revolution: Africans at a Crossroads,'' [1992] By the late Professor John Henrik Clarke.  This book sparked my interests in Africa and Africans early on and helped me define myself as having a strong African Spirit.  It also helped me get more strongly involved in liberation efforts going on in my local community in Philadelphia.  My opinions, however, do NOT lessen the historical signifigance or importance of Professor Asante's work. We, as Africans should ALL be reading much, much more and Professor Asante's books are a GREAT jumping-off point.......

No comments:

Post a Comment